Thursday, 12 October 2017

One Off!

I am delighted to say that the doily is at last finished, all I need to do is tidy up the threads that have been left around after any such project!   As I worked from round to round on this doily I did not write the pattern down, because really do not think that it will ever be made by me or anyone else!  So this is definately a one off!


It is 20" wide and I am actually not keeping it, someone requested this doily back in July, the only stipulation was that it was green, large and had to be completed by Christmas. She has not seen it yet so hope she will be pleased.

Thursday, 5 October 2017

Emergency Supplies

So regret starting this doily but I am now getting on fine with it, just have a few false starts on every round as I attempt to get the pattern and tension right.   I do have a variety of balls of green but found myself running out of the essential colours so went to e.bay to get these emergency supplies. Really needed to match the colours and not be too random with them.

I am particularly fond of the two balls of green on the right and look forward to using them in the future with another project.

But here is the doily so far which is taking up so much of my time.


The next picture you will see is of it finished.  Hurrah!


Friday, 22 September 2017

Daffodil

I was going to show you how much I had progressed on the doily but I am having a slight break whilst awaiting the threads I won on e.bay.  Unfortunately I was not in when the postmen delivered the parcel so now have to wait until it can be collected or re-delivered.

In the meantime I thought I would try and make another bookmark which symbolised another national emblem of a country within Great Britain and here it is the daffodil. 



Martha Ess designed this daffodil, it was one that she demonstrated at Tat Days 2012, which I happened to attend.  I have already used it on Easter Cards but have now found another use for it, do you know the country it represents?

Monday, 18 September 2017

Continuing with the Doily

I am still working on this doily and making it up as I go along, have tatted a little bit more than this picture shows. but running out of thread that will match.  The reason is that I have wasted quite a bit of thread when chopping the original up and have also made a few false starts. Not only that I did not realise how much thread the project would take.


However, luckily I purchased 9 balls of green thread on e.bay, some of the colours will match and should enable me to continue.  Will show you another picture in a few days time.

Thursday, 14 September 2017

Thistles

My son spent the last weekend in Scotland and he has apparently bought back some traditional Scottish shortbread, but I will have to wait until I see him next to know what they taste like.  The emblem of Scotland is the thistle and if you go here you can read all about why this is so.

I had a request to make three thistle bookmarks and they are now finished and ready to post.

The pattern is on the side of my blog, the only difference is that now I split the threads on the top to make them look more like the flower on the thistle.


Still struggling with the green doily which I hope to show you on the next post.

Sunday, 3 September 2017

A Change of Craft

When I was visiting my son, daughter-in-law and only grandchild in Singapore a few months ago I noticed that they had a yellow crocheted tissue box holder in the shape of a lego brick. This of course is not surprising as my son is still very involved in lego and you can see his creations on this web site http://www.musicalbrick.com.   We even gave him a Lego Volkswagen beetle to assemble for his birthday.  

I soon found the pattern for the lego brick tissue holder on the internet and set about making one yesterday, here is the result, fashioned by one of the wooden men that 'im in the garage makes. 




In between my many tatting projects I am hope to make some more of these bricks in other lego colours. 

Thursday, 31 August 2017

Winging It!

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last blog post, you sure did cheer me up I was almost in tears having to destroy all that work.




'Winging It' is what I am doing now with regard to tatting this doily.  As you can see it had the 'big chop' and now I am continuing using a different design which is being made up as I go along. Hence there is no preparation, just chancing it, so far so good, but have no idea what the next row is going to be.   Wish me luck